How can you increase the response rate for a survey?
Sending out a questionnaire is an excellent method to question many people in the same way. If you can obtain a good response rate, you’ll get a representative picture of your research group. But how do you ensure an adequate response?
- Carefully select your research group. . Don't just write to anyone or randomly choose a cross-section of the phone book, but rather look at who you want to fill out your questionnaire. How old are they? A particular occupation? Hobbies? If your research group is interested in your topic, they are more likely to (fully) complete your questionnaire.
- Explore how you best reach your research group. Can you email or survey them at a venue (after visiting a museum)? Or through postal services, in case they don't have internet access. You can also offer multiple options, so respondents can choose how to fill out the questionnaire. Do you specifically want to reach young people? Also read this blog in which we specifically discuss reaching this target group.
- Make it as easy as possible for your respondents. If you conduct a digital questionnaire, make sure there is a working link so that respondents can click through immediately. If logging in with a password is not necessary, e.g., to link data, ensure the link is working. Als je schriftelijk vragenlijsten afneemt, zorg voor een antwoordenveloppe en een antwoordnummer. If you are on location with written questionnaires, make sure you have suitable writing materials and a table (and chair). For more tips read my blog ‘How to make it your respondents as easy as possible’.
- Keep the questionnaire as short as possible. Only ask what is necessary. Nobody likes to fill in a lengthy questionnaire. Ask relevant questions only and refer to another question "if necessary, fill out the next question; if not, go on to question, e.g., 10." Digitally show how long it will take to complete the questionnaire. Digitally show how long it will take to complete the questionnaire.
- Please make sure the questions are lucid, and it is clear to the respondent what is expected of them. Ook met doorverwijzen met vragen. You can easily set this up Digitally (if question 1 is yes, continue to question 5), but make sure it is clear on paper as well.
- Only make questions mandatory if they are . essential. Mandatory questions are more likely to cause people to drop out.
- Make it clear why it is essential that they complete the questionnaire. Pay special attention to the importance of the respondents. 'With this information, we can...'
- Thank your respondents, if possible, with a small gift. Your respondents will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Would you like to know more about respondents and increasing your response? Also read our blog: How to make it as easy as possible for your respondents?